Two things happened this morning that were ... well unusual and not part of the normal routine. The first I’ll carry with me for the next few days and the second I sorted within 20 mins.
Tuesday’s and Thursday’s are now my mornings at the surf club on the K1 trainer between 5:00am – 6:15am. The usual banter with Bert & Ernie (aka Steve & Frank) about how far I’ve paddled and how big the surf is at OB today. This morning I was trying to hit 5k at 3omins and stroking above 75 spm when I lost concentration for a split second and whacked my left foot with the end of the shaft. Now the shaft is attached to a nylon rope which keeps the tension on the fly wheel and the rope itself is connected to the shaft by a small, but not insignificant, butterfly nut. When I stopped at 5km for some water I noticed a nice chunk of skin flapping off the second toe... “We’ve sprung a leak there Captain!”
I felt rubbish at 6klm and played the mind games of getting off the horse and heading home. But laddie...that sort of attitude won’t cut the mustard on 25th September; so I threw on the competition face and hummed a chorus of “Onward Christian soldiers!!”. Knocked out 10klm in 64mins, cleaned and packed up the gear before heading home.
En route to Horsfield Bay the Low Fuel alert sounds and I head into BP on Ocean Beach and Rawson Rds. Unashamed to be standing at the fuel pump with a towel around my waist, under my warm jacket and with my red crocs on, I’d put $30 of fuel in before realising I didn’t have my wallet with me. “Mateeeeee” says I... “ you won’t believe it!” ... and he didn’t; so I took off my watch, left my mobile number and the 6 person queue behind me (is that someone snickering... “I heard that!”) and headed home with my towel between my legs. Actually the guy at the BP was OK and I returned 10 mins later with cash in hand.
Go Tuesday... we’re on fire!!
No comments:
Post a Comment